Road construction projects scheduled for 2011 in Sioux City
SIOUX CITY, Iowa – Feb. 21, 2011 – Several road construction projects scheduled for 2011 will affect motorists in the Sioux City area, according to the Iowa Department of Transportation’s (DOT) Sioux City construction office.
Interstate 29 in Sioux City
Segment one projects include:
- Completion of retaining wall work that began last fall on I-29 from the U.S. 20/I-29 interchange north to one-quarter mile south of the BNSF Railway’s track.
- Grading and concrete paving of the southbound lanes of I-29 from the U.S. 20/I-29 interchange north to one-quarter mile south of the BNSF Railway’s track. Traffic will be shifted to accommodate construction work scheduled for completion in 2011. This paving project was awarded to Cedar Valley Corp. of Waterloo for $9.6 million.
- Paving the ramps at the I-29/U.S. 20 interchange that will require closures and detours at separate times. The I-29/U.S. 20 interchange ramp paving project, scheduled for completion in 2011, was awarded to Cedar Valley Corp. of Waterloo for a total of $1.8 million.
- Replacement of the northbound I-29 bridge over Singing Hills Boulevard. Work on this $4.3 million project was awarded to Christensen Brothers Inc. of Cherokee and is scheduled to begin in March, weather permitting. Traffic will be shifted to the southbound lanes during construction.
Segment three projects involve:
- Completion of southbound I-29 lanes from 1.9 miles south of the Riverside Boulevard interchange to the South Dakota border that began last spring. The construction of retaining walls has been ongoing throughout the winter and completion of the grading and concrete paving is scheduled for completion in 2011.
- The trail adjacent to the Missouri and Big Sioux rivers will continue to be closed until midsummer.
- Reconstruction on northbound I-29 lanes will occur in 2012.
Iowa 12/Gordon Drive
- Construction work resumes this spring on Iowa 12/Gordon Drive.
- Bridge removal, grading and concrete paving between Palmetto and Maple streets are included in this project, which is expected to be complete by the end of 2011, weather permitting.
Iowa 376/Lewis Boulevard
- Bids will be let this spring for full-depth patching and resurfacing Iowa 376/Lewis Boulevard from I-29 north to Glenn Avenue. Construction is anticipated to begin late summer.
See map for these construction locations.
The Iowa DOT reminds motorists to drive with caution, obey posted speed limit and other signs in the work area, and be aware that traffic fines for moving violations are at least double in work zones. As in all work zones, drivers should stay alert, allow ample space between vehicles and wear seat belts.
Contact: Dean Herbst at 712-239-1367 or firstname.lastname@example.org