Get some “Face” time with the Iowa Department of Transportation
AMES, Iowa – April 26, 2012 – Iowans are increasingly using Facebook and other forms of social media to connect with people they know, as well as businesses and government agencies. Now you can get a little “Face” time with the Iowa Department of Transportation.
The Iowa DOT is announcing the release of a collection of new Facebook pages designed to share information and generate conversation related to transportation in Iowa. Visit or “Like” one or all of these pages to begin listening, commenting, asking questions and sharing.
1) Iowa Aviation: Whether you are involved in the aviation industry or just someone with an interest in aviation, the Iowa Aviation page – http://www.facebook.com/IowaDOTaviation – is intended to share information and generate conversation related to aviation in Iowa. To learn more about activities in the skies over Iowa, visit this page hosted by the Iowa DOT’s Office of Aviation.
2) I-380: Regularly use I-380 through the Evansdale area in eastern Iowa or planning to use the route this year? A 6.49-mile section of southbound I-380, starting at the U.S. 20 interchange to west of River Forest Road, will be closed this year for reconstruction. Traffic will be moved to the northbound lanes, and congestion and delays are expected. Use the new I-380 Facebook site – http://www.facebook.com/IowaDOTI380 – to ask a question about the project, stay informed as work gets underway and see photos of the construction activity.
3) 511: Use the new 511 Facebook sites to plan ahead and stay informed about traffic incidents, road construction and maintenance, bridge closures and all other activities that could affect your daily commute or other travel.
- Statewide https://www.facebook.com/Iowa511
- Central Iowa https://www.facebook.com/Iowa511Central
- Northwest Iowa https://www.facebook.com/pages/Iowa-511-Traveler-Information-Northwest-Region/254673804619051
- Northeast Iowa https://www.facebook.com/pages/Iowa-511-Traveler-Information-Northeast-Region/182553501856674
- Southwest Iowa https://www.facebook.com/Iowa511SW
- Southeast Iowa https://www.facebook.com/pages/Iowa-511-Traveler-Information-Southeast-Region/268982956525228
4) Iowa DOT: The Iowa DOT’s central Facebook site – http://www.facebook.com/iowadot – can be best described as “all things transportation.” The buzz is about transportation in Iowa, whether it relates to highways, railroads, rivers, public transit, aviation, trails, motor vehicles, driver’s licenses or commercial motor carriers.
Remember, the primary responsibility of every driver is the safe operation of his or her vehicle. Responsible drivers understand they should avoid distractions – whether it be eating, drinking or using a mobile phone – so they can keep their eyes on the road, hands on the wheel and minds on the task of driving. Don’t text and drive (it’s the law) or visit Facebook while driving.
Contact: Dena Gray-Fisher, 515-239-1922 or email@example.com