AMES, Iowa – Dec. 18, 2012 – Are you a journalist or broadcaster looking for the latest Iowa winter travel information? The Iowa Department of Transportation is your information source – online, anytime.
Today's news organizations demand around-the-clock, instant access to the most current information. Automation and advanced technologies are now making that possible.
This winter season, look toward Iowa's 511 system for information about traffic incidents, road closures or lane restrictions, observations of winter road conditions from the Iowa State Patrol and National Weather Service warnings. Also available through 511 are views from several metro area cameras, traffic speeds in certain locations and a display of active electronic road sign messages.
Information from the Iowa DOT's road and aviation weather systems, including critical winter-related conditions, such as precipitation type, wind speed and road temperatures, is available at http://weatherview.iowadot.gov/. Traffic cameras and travel speeds from throughout the state are also available on WeatherView.
511 information is available in several convenient formats, select the one that best meets your needs.
- By phone (call 511 within Iowa or 800-288-1047 toll-free nationwide).
- On Facebook and Twitter (visit www.iowadot.com/511/socialmedia.html for details).
- On the Internet at www.511ia.org.
- In a mobile device-compatible format (visit www.511ia.org).
- Email and/or text message (Get personalized “My Reports” alerts via email and/or text message. Alerts keep travelers informed about traffic incidents, road closures and other restrictions that affect the highway routes users have preselected. It’s easy to subscribe to My Reports and sign up to receive the email/text alerts. Visit http://www.iowadot.gov/511/MyReportsAlerts.html for simple, step-by-step instructions.)
Media access to an Iowa DOT Highway Division spokesperson will be provided from 4 a.m. - 10 p.m. during significant winter events; call 515-233-7960 for assistance.