Iowa DOT News Release

Lost Your Driving Privilege? Want to Know How and When You Can Get it Back?

Posted on: February 07, 2013

AMES, Iowa – Feb. 7, 2013 – Some people say there is nothing worse than losing your driving privilege and having your driver’s license suspended or revoked; or not being able to renew your driver’s license because you owe a civil penalty. And, one of the most frustrating parts can simply be not knowing what is needed to get your driver’s license back or when is the earliest date it can be reinstated.

Reinstating your driving privilege and getting your driver’s license back could mean you must pay a civil penalty, attend a drinking driver school, participate in treatment and evaluation, submit a medical statement from your doctor or take other action.

Whatever the reason, you can find out exactly what is required by going online, anytime to the Iowa Department of Transportation’s myMVD website at The site is available 24 hours a day/7 days a week for your convenience.

It’s easy. Just enter the required personal information; and select the “Reinstatement requirements” option. That’s it. The information will be presented for viewing.

Iowa DOT Motor Vehicle Division Director Mark Lowe said, “Don’t be fooled by imitation websites that appear as though they can help you renew your Iowa driver’s license, change your address, get your learner’s permit or replace your license online. There is no other website that has the ability to do these things. Any money that you pay to these look-alike websites will not result in you receiving any of these services. Trust only the Iowa DOT’s myMVD website."


Media contact: Mark Lowe, 515-237-3121 or


Iowa highway in the evening