UPDATE - Slick Roads Call for Continued Caution on Iowa Highways Today #iatraffic
AMES, IOWA – Feb. 22, 2013 – Due to the winter storm, roads, bridges, overpasses and ramps have become slick in many locations in Iowa. Eastbound Interstate 80 is currently blocked near Colfax at mile post 159 due to multiple crashes. This incident may take considerable time to clear.
Of particular concern is the persistent blowing snow over roadways in open areas, which is causing glazing of roadway surfaces. Patchy slick spots can be encountered at any time. Traveling under these conditions requires:
- Drivers to give their full attention to the driving task.
- Do not use cruise control.
- Reduced travel speeds.
- Staying back from the vehicles ahead as they could make erratic, sudden maneuvers.
- Everyone in the vehicle to wear seat belts at all times.
- Patience, give yourself added time to get to your destination and don’t be the cause of an accident by driving too fast for conditions or cutting in and out in traffic.
If you plan to travel today, check road conditions by visiting www.511ia.org or calling 511 in Iowa or 800-288-1047 nationwide. You can also follow the Iowa DOT on Facebook or Twitter.