AMES, Iowa – Flooding continues to affect many roadways in the state, according to Iowa Department of Transportation (Iowa DOT) officials. Iowans are urged to closely monitor conditions and never enter a water-covered roadway.
Many of the closures on this list will remain in place for an extended period of time due to extensive damage. It is extremely important that motorists do not move barricades on closed roads, as entering a closed road presents a serious risk.
Many of the road and bridge closures in southeast Iowa relate directly to travelers entering Illinois and Missouri. For details on Missouri or Illinois road closures, please use the following contact information.
- The latest road closures due to flooding can be easily accessed via the web. For quick reference and those on dial up, a full text report is available at http://www.modot.org/northeast/Thisweeksroadwork.htm .
- MoDOT's Traveler Information Map located on it's home page at http:// www.modot.org provides a visual of the significant closures throughout the state and specific areas can be zoomed in to identify locations.
- This information is updated as we receive it from teams in the field. The MoDOT Customer Service Center is staffed 24/7 for the same information and can be reached by calling toll-free 1-888 ASK MODOT.
- U.S. 61: in Scott County – U.S. 61 is open in the city of Davenport from Iowa 22 to U.S. 67 south.
- U.S. 67: in Scott County – U.S. 67 is open from the Illinois State Line to I-74.
Previously mentioned and updated road closures
- U .S. 6: in Muscatine County – U.S. 6 is closed from Muscatine County Road X-46 (Atalissa) to Iowa 38. This roadway is severely damaged and is expected to remain closed until repairs are completed.
- U.S. 18: in Floyd County – While flood waters have receded, the water damaged the roadway east of Charles City. U.S. 18 will remain closed from Charles City to New Hampton until repairs can be made. Detour is in place using local roads.
- U.S. 34: in Des Moines County – The Mississippi River bridge at Burlington is closed due to a levee breach in Gulfport, Ill.
- U.S. 61: in Lee County –U.S. 61 in Lee County is closed to traffic between Lee County roads J-40 and X-38 due to water covering the road. Traffic is suggested to follow local detour signs for U.S. 61 Fort Madison detour.
- U.S. 61: in Louisa County – U.S. 61 is now open from the north city limits of Wapello to south of Iowa 92. Motorist should use caution and a reduced speed limit of 45 mph is in place.
- U.S. 67: Clinton and Scott County –The road is closed between the towns of Folletts and Princeton due to a large void in the bridge approach. Traffic should use U.S. 30 to U.S. 61, then to I-80 until repairs can be made.
- U.S. 136 bridge at Keokuk –The U.S. 136 crossing at Keokuk is open. Flaggers are in place to assist motorists. U.S. 136/61 is CLOSED in Missouri.
- U.S. 136/U.S. 61: in Lee County – U.S. 136/U.S. 61 is closed in Missouri until further notice due to flooding.
- U.S. 151: in Iowa County – Road closed from Iowa 220 to U.S. 6 between the town of Amana and Homestead.
- Iowa 1: in Linn County – Due to the flood damage to the roadway, Iowa 1 will remain closed from U.S. 30 to the city of Solon until repairs can be made. This is a long term closure.
- Iowa 3: in Butler County – This highway is closed west of Shell Rock. There is roadway damage that must be repaired.
- Iowa 14: in Marion County – Iowa 14 is reduced to one-lane from the northern city limits of Knoxville to Marion County Road G-40 due to a landslide. Electronic traffic signals are in place to direct traffic.
- Iowa 16: in Wapello County – Iowa 16 through Eldon is open. While the roadway is passable, motorists should use caution in the area as there are still sandbags on the sides of the roadway.
- Iowa 22: in Muscatine County – Iowa 22 is closed from Iowa 70 to U.S. 61. This will be a long-term closure as the roadway is severely damaged.
- Iowa 24: in Winneshiek County – Iowa 24 is closed at Fort Atkinson due to a washed out bridge approach. This is a long-term closure.
- Iowa 76: in Allamakee County – Iowa 76 is closed south of the Minnesota state line for bridge repair at the Upper Iowa River. The bridge will be closed until repairs are completed.
- Iowa 150: Benton County – While flood waters have receded, the water damaged the roadway north of Vinton. Iowa 150 will be reduced to one lane of traffic from the north city limits of Vinton to County Road E-16. Traffic is being flagged through the lane restriction. Until further notice, the roadway will be open from 5:30 a.m. to 8 p.m. daily; and closed from 8 p.m. to 5:30 a.m. due to safety concerns. Iowa 150 remains closed north of the Benton County Road E-16 intersection.
- Louisa County: Meyerholz Lake area – Louisa County Road G-62 is closed. Several local roads are also closed in this area.
Flood safety tips and other helpful information for travelers are available at: http://iowadot.gov/floods/index.html