(This release is being sent by the Iowa Department of Transportation as a courtesy to the Minnesota Department of Transportation.)
DETROIT LAKES, Minn.— (10 a.m.) The Minnesota Department of Transportation and the Minnesota State Patrol will open Interstate 94 between Moorhead and Alexandria and Highway 10 between Moorhead and Detroit Lakes at 10:30 a.m.
Current driving conditions in west central Minnesota are still extremely difficult. Blowing and drifting snow and icy areas continue to cause reduced visibility and dangerous driving conditions. Motorists still need to use extreme caution when traveling throughout west central Minnesota.
Another storm system is forecasted to move into west central Minnesota this afternoon and motorists can expect deteriorating road conditions later this afternoon through Saturday morning. Mn/DOT and the Minnesota State Patrol will continue to monitor road conditions and, depending on the severity of the next forecasted storm, will determine whether roads will need to be closed later today.
Mn/DOT reminds motorists to be patient while snowplow operators work to improve driving conditions and prepare for additional snowfall. The majority of snowplow crashes take place during “clean up” when motorists feel they can resume their normal speeds.
Motorists should remember to:
• Check the weather forecast – www.nws.noaa.gov and click the map for the forecast along your travel route.
• Check road conditions – Go to www.511mn.org or call 511.
• Drive slowly – Especially on bridges and overpasses.
• Be patient – Remember snowplows are working to improve road conditions for your trip.
• Stay back – At least five car lengths behind the plow, and a safe stopping distance from the vehicle in front of you.
• Stay alert – Snowplows turn or exit frequently and often with little warning; they may also travel over centerlines or partially in traffic to further improve road conditions.
• Headlights on – Increase your visibility to other motorists.
• Buckle up – Make sure child restraints are secured correctly.
For additional tips on safe winter driving, go to www.mndot.gov.
For updated information on Minnesota road conditions, call 511 or log on to www.511mn.org.
For updated information on North Dakota road conditions, log on to www.dot.nd.gov/travel-info/.
# # #