AMES, Iowa – Jan. 13, 2015 – Today, the Iowa Transportation Commission approved $1,304,133 in total funding for six federal Recreational Trails Program projects. The federal Recreational Trails Program was created in 1991 for the purpose of developing and maintaining recreational trails and trail-related facilities for both motorized and nonmotorized trail users. This funding is available to cities, counties, state, and federal agencies and private organizations through an annual application-based program.
The projects and approved funding amounts are listed below.
- Gypsum City OHV Park – Phase 3 Trail Construction (Iowa Department of Natural Resources
and Webster County Improvement Corporation) - $195,559
- Iowa DNR AmeriCorps Trail Crew (Iowa Department of Natural Resources) - $280,000
- Mitchellville to Prairie City Rails to Trails Corridor Acquisition (Jasper County
Conservation) - $450,599
- Raccoon River Valley Trail to High Trestle Trail Connector Phase 1 Acquisition/Construction -
Perry to Bouton (Dallas County Conservation Board) - $119,575
- Snowmobile Trail Grooming Equipment Purchase (Iowa Department of Natural Resources and
Iowa State Snowmobile Association) - $240,000
- Support for Program and Bicycle/Trails Summits (Iowa Department of Transportation) - $18,400
Contact: Craig Markley at 515-239-1027 or firstname.lastname@example.org