Iowa 14 bridge at Red Rock Lake near Knoxville to close at 6 p.m.
AMES, Iowa – Dec. 15, 2021 – The bridge that carries Iowa 14 over Red Rock Lake near Knoxville will close today at 6 p.m. due to high winds. Iowa Department of Transportation bridge crews are prepared to inspect the bridge for any ill effects of the winds prior to the bridge reopening to traffic. The bridge is anticipated to reopen when winds subside.
Motorists, especially those traveling in high-profile vehicles, are encouraged to find alternative routes during this high-wind event. Closure information will be posted on the 511 Traveler Information System. Digital message boards will also be placed at both ends of the bridge to warn motorists of potential closures.
During high-wind events motorists are reminded of these safety tips:
- Be aware of the weather and the potential for changing conditions and adjust your travel to avoid inclement weather if possible.
- Avoid bridges or other locations that are higher up that could put your vehicle in a position to experience high wind gusts more readily.
- Keep your distance from other vehicles, especially high-profile vehicles, because the wind could suddenly blow them over or into your lane.
- Keep your hands firmly on the wheel and expect the unexpected.
- Avoid distractions and concentrate on the task of driving.
- Slow down.
The latest traveler information is available anytime through our 511 system. Visit 511ia.org; call 511 (within Iowa) or 800-288-1047 (nationwide); stay connected with 511 on Facebook or Twitter (find links at https://iowadot.gov/511/511-social-media-sites); or download the free app to your mobile device.
It’s easy to subscribe to Your 511 and sign up to receive the email/text alerts. Visit https://new.511ia.org/#login to sign up. For instructions and help for this feature, visit https://www.511ia.org/help/section/how-to-create-and-manage-a-511-account.html.