Iowa Transportation Commission approves Federal Recreational Trails Program funding
AMES, Iowa – Jan. 11, 2023 – Today, the Iowa Transportation Commission approved $1,348,650 in total funding for five federal Recreational Trails Program projects. The federal Recreational Trails Program was created in 1991 for the purpose of developing and maintaining recreational trails and trail-related facilities for both motorized and nonmotorized trail users. This funding is available to cities, counties, state and federal agencies, and private organizations through an annual application-based program.
The projects and approved funding amounts are listed below.
- Cedar River Water Trail Access Improvements (Mitchell County Conservation Board) - $665,050
- Central Place Levee Trail Phase 2 (Des Moines) - $300,000
- Nicholson-Ford OHV Park Tree Clean Up (Iowa Department of Natural Resources) - $131,600
- Snowmobile Trail Maintenance (Iowa State Snowmobile Association) - $246,000
- Support for Bicycle Summit (Iowa Department of Transportation) - $6,000
Contact: Scott Flagg at 515-239-1252 or [email protected]